Hammie Sammies are a huge hit, my friend Nisha made them for a tailgating party and declared them a “must try.” My neighbor, Julie had them at a shower and said they were fantastic. This is on our family’s list to make this holiday season, since you make them the night before, it’s an easy fix ahead meal to pop into the oven during this busy time.
Here’s a variation of the original recipe from King’s Hawaiian Rolls
Mini Baked Ham Sandwiches
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 20 min
Serving Info: 12 people
1 pound deli ham shaved
1 pound swiss cheese thinly sliced
1 1/2 sticks butter
1 1/2 tablespoons Grey Poupon Dijon Mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
1 small onion, diced
2 12-pack KING’S HAWAIIAN Savory Butter Dinner Rolls (you won’t need all of these, but you do need two packages to fill a 9x13 pan
Optional: 1 Tablespoon of poppy seeds
1. Melt butter, saute onions until soft and whisk in dijon mustard, worcestershire sauce and poppy seeds if desired
2. Cut the entire pack of rolls in half, horizontally (keeping all top and bottom halves separately intact).
3. In a 9x13 inch pan sprayed with Pam, place bottom half of rolls and cover with ham and cheese. You will need to use a few rolls from the 2nd pack to fill the pan.
4. Cover ham and cheese stacks with top half of rolls.
5. Drizzle butter mixture over top of rolls, making sure onion is evenly distributed.
6. Refrigerate over night.
7. Bake covered at 350 degrees for 10 minutes, uncover and bake an additional 5-10 minutes and, once finished, separate for serving.
Some recipes call for part of the sauce to be drizzled over the ham and cheese, then put on the top roll and drizzle on the rest. Nisha just drizzled hers over the top and it worked great.
Taste this before drizzling to see if you want additional mustard or Worcestershire Sauce, some people prefer it a bit more tangy...