Mom’s Goulash, simply the best!

in , , by 👩‍🍳 Cooking With a Southern Vibe in Music City USA 👩‍🍳, September 26, 2012

goulash

You have to serve this with mashed potatoes and corn, it’s just the way it’s done.  Trust me, the mashed potatoes make it wonderful.  This is so simple, a recipe from my childhood, back in the days when goulash was a staple in our diet.  It’s fast, quick, and the perfect food on a cool fall evening.

1 lb. ground round/sirloin/chuck – whatever you want to use works
1/2 bell pepper, finely diced
1 onion (1/2 cup) finely diced

Brown the above, season with salt and quite a bit of ground pepper, about 1/2 teaspoon.

Meanwhile cook elbow macaroni or your pasta of choice to el dente, I use about a half a pound of pasta, but you can add more if you like.

Meanwhile open a large can (28 oz.) of crushed tomatoes, put in a saucepan, add the drained meat mixture, add the drained pasta and simmer for just a few minutes.

AND, add sugar.  I use Splenda, about 1/4 of a cup, because we like it sweet.

That’s all there is to it, I eat it like I did as a child, with a scoop of mashed potatoes in the center of my plate and the goulash spooned over the top.

Mother always added the corn directly in her goulash mixture, I cooked mine separately and put it on the side.

And don’t turn your nose up at the potatoes, I know it’s two starches, but this is comfort food people, and trust me, you will be comforted after you eat this.

Of course, real mashed potatoes are always best, but instant potatoes work, or those great Bob Evans refrigerated ones.  Just fix whatever, and enjoy, your family will love this!

Some people add herbs and garlic to their goulash, but to me it’s best just to keep it simple with the green pepper and onions.  It’s peasant food, comfort food, warm memories, and delish!  Pinky swear it is…

 

bonappetitsmall

SHARE 1 comment

Add your comment

© Jan CAN Cook · THEME BY WATDESIGNEXPRESS