1. In a large mixing bowl, beat together eggs, evaporated milk, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Set aside.
2. Spread each slice of the bread with some cream cheese. Top six of the slices with cherry pie filling, spreading almost to the edges.
3. Cover each with the remaining bread slices, cream cheese side down. Dip in the egg mixture.
4. In a skillet or on a griddle, cook the sandwiches in hot butter over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
5. Cut filled French toast into halves or quarters and dip in or sprinkle with sugar, if you like. Serve with hot maple syrup, if you like. Makes 6 servings.
Source: Adapted from a recipe from Midwest Living