Slice tops from 16 (1-oz.) hearty round dinner rolls, and then let guests hollow out centers and spoon chili into them.
Total: 27 minutes
Yield: Makes 8 servings
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 (16-oz.) cans diced tomatoes with green pepper and onion
- 2 (16-oz.) cans small red beans
- 2 (8-oz.) cans tomato sauce
- Toppings: shredded Cheddar cheese, sliced green onions, diced tomatoes
1. Brown beef in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, stirring often, 6 to 8 minutes or until beef crumbles and is no longer pink; drain well. Return beef to Dutch oven; sprinkle with chili powder, Creole seasoning, and cumin, and sauté 1 minute.
2. Stir in diced tomatoes and next 2 ingredients, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes. Serve with toppings.
Southern Living, FEBRUARY 2010