- 2 pounds catfish fillets, cut into 1-inch wide strips
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup ground pecans
- 2/3 cup plain yellow cornmeal
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Vegetable oil
- Pickled Okra Salsa
1. Place catfish and buttermilk in a large zip-top plastic freezer bag. Seal and chill 1 hour. Remove catfish from buttermilk, discarding buttermilk.
2. Combine pecans and next 4 ingredients in a shallow bowl. Dip fish in eggs; dredge in pecan mixture, shaking off excess. Arrange on a baking sheet. Pour oil to depth of 1 1/2 inches into a cast-iron Dutch oven or 12-inch (2 1/4-inch-deep) cast-iron skillet; heat to 350°. Fry fish, in batches, 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown and fish flakes with a fork. Drain on a wire rack over paper towels. Serve with Pickled Okra Salsa.
Note: We tested with Zatarain's Creole Seasoning.
Source: Southern Living Best of 2010