Makes 8 servings
- 4 large green tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Vegetable cooking spray
- Parchment paper
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups Japanese breadcrumbs (panko)
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Creole mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped bread-and-butter pickles
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon filé powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400°. Cut tomatoes into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Sprinkle both sides of tomatoes evenly with 2 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. pepper.
2. Place a wire rack coated with cooking spray in a parchment paper-lined 15- x 10-inch jelly-roll pan.
3. Pour buttermilk into a shallow dish or pie plate. Stir together panko, Creole seasoning, and paprika in another shallow dish or pie plate.
4. Dredge tomatoes in flour. Dip tomatoes in buttermilk, and dredge in panko mixture. Lightly coat tomatoes on each side with cooking spray; arrange on wire rack.
5. Bake at 400° for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown, turning once after 10 minutes. Serve with Lightened Bread-and-Butter Pickle Rémoulade.
Lightened Bread and Butter Remoulade
Makes about 1 cup
1. Stir together all ingredients.
Southern Living, JUNE 2009